Monday, July 25, 2011

Surprise!

In most circumstances, I'm not real good on the whole surprise thing. I'm the one begging my husband to open gifts early at Christmas. I try looking through the wrapping paper. It's silly and ridiculous, I know, but I can't help it.

When he doesn't give in to me I end up being grateful because it is kind of fun to get surprised every once in a while.

This is a different kind of surprise though. Today I'm talking about getting surprised by a book. You see *ducks head out from around corner* I'm not a big dystopian fan. *hides again. No yelling. Steps back out* usually it's just not my thing. I don't know what it is about them, but it's just not my genre of choice.

That being said, I did love Hunger Games. Took me forever to read them because I am also stubborn. Once I did I was SOOOO happy. Even thought "Hey, maybe I like these books" picked up a couple more dystopian and nope. Still wasn't my thing.

Then this new book came out. You might have heard of it--DIVERGENT by Veronica Roth. It sounded pretty cool, but nope! I don't like dystopian so I didn't want to read it. Everyone raved and stubborn old me still stood my ground. Then a friend of mine who has similar book taste told me I had to read it. "NO! I don't like dystopian!" I told her. To which she replied, "Trust me".

Reluctantly I did and OMG!!! So much love for this book. Went to the gym twice over the weekend, just to escape my kiddos and hubby so I could read on the elliptical. Now THAT is saying something because the gym is not my favorite place to go.

I read until my little eyes stung, devouring every word. Devouring FOUR. OMG, watch out other book boys because Four had bumped a few of you out of your spots on my favorite list. LOL. And Tris is an incredible character. She's strong without being too strong. Vulnerable without being too vulnerable. She's real.

Awesome, awesome book. I can't wait for the next one in the series. This is the kind of surprise I like.

What was the last book that surprised you in a good way? A book you didn't think you'd like, but ended up loving?

And Veronica Roth, you rock.

Me? Not so much. Never judge a book before I read it. It's my new motto.

16 comments:

  1. I don't have anything against dystopain, BUT I hate reading a book that I know is the first in a series because i know I SUCK at patience. SO - I'm hoping she's a fast writer, because I may (or may not) read it AFTER she finishes the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually never been a big fan or series at all. At least, not since I was a kid. So I tend not to read series. But a book that really surprised me recently was Lauren Oliver's Delirium. I'm not usually into that kind of thing, but I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about dystopians but I LOVED Divergent. I probably wouldn't have read it, except that it was given to me for free, so I thought if I hated it, at least I hadn't spent any money on it. But it would have been worth every penny if I had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jolene,
    Have I ever steered you wrong? You CAN'T wait that long on this one. I will DIE. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate,
    I need to read Lauren Oliver. I keep hearing how fantastic she is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina,
    GAH! Wasn't it fantastic. I LOVE Four!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm the same as you. I took one look at the cover of DIVERGENT and went, "Well, this doesn't look exciting." When I heard all the buzz though and found it at my public library, I decided to check it out. And LOVED it!! Now I have my own copy sitting on my bookshelf :)

    The same thing happened with BEFORE I FALL. Both books are worth fifty gold stars in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris,
    Everyone keeps bringing up BEFORE I FALL. I need to get it.

    And yes, this book was sooo worth it. I want to read it again!

    My favorite line (Wendy, if you're reading this, you will swoon).

    "I might be in love with you," he smiles. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you though."

    LOVE! And it gets even better after that line :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dystopian isn't really my thing either. I feel like I could easily have written the first half of this post, so the fact that you like DIVERGENT makes me excited, because I just got that from the library and I was weary, despite me hearing amazing amazing things about it. Now, I'll dive in more headfirst.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Based on the premise, I expected to love Divergent, so that wasn't a big surprise for me. The surprise book was The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han. I avoided it like the plague last year, thinking it was just going to be a mindless, forgettable read. Was I ever wrong. I LOVED it! I will read anything Jenny Han writes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. KD,
    Yay! I can't wait to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lin,
    I hear ya! I LOVE Jenny Han. She is such an incredible, beautiful writer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm one of the few who didn't like Divergent, but Blood Red Road?

    BLOOD RED ROAD!!!!!

    I just finished that book a couple days ago and I'm still reeling. I can't focus on any other book at the moment. That one was incredible and surprised me because I didn't expect to like it at all. The summary didn't really grab me, but...BLOOD RED ROAD!!! <3 New favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's funny because the last book that really surprised me was The Hunger Games series. For some reason I had absoltely no interest in reading it. Not because it was Dystopian, because I had no idea what that was at that point. I just didn't want to read it. I got it from the library three times before I actually started it....and I loved it. I cried once, like, every chapter. I ABSORBED it. And then I felt silly for not reading it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved DIVERGENT too. It was amazing and I can't wait for book 2!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I read the free sample and enjoyed it, but haven't bought it yet. (BAD TASTE IN BOYS came first ;) ) But it's def on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete